Well, is the battle of the brands is well and truly on? They have even lined up the team sheets to do battle;
- UK Brands
We believe the motorhome market share cup is up for grabs!
Battle of the Brands
The market in new sales maybe getting messy.
- However, there remains a shortage of used motorhomes.
- Especially, 1, to 5, years old.
Most main motorhome dealers have been advertising for stock.
Also, we know that prices remained firm.
- Residuals values at the moment good.
- However, there is a threat waiting in the wings;
- “Cheaper foreign motorhomes.
- Value for money van conversions”.
We estimated new sales circa 12,000 new motorhomes.
The NCC (National Caravan Council)
- Reported that 13,162 new motorhomes were registered between July 2016 and June 2017.
- Previous year sales had been 11,559 motorhomes sold.
- Motorhomes sales exceeded for the first time 13,000 vehicles in a 12 months period.
- Made up of which in round numbers 6,000 were foreign motorhomes!
- Also, estimated were van conversions at about 2,000 units.
- Used sales are hard to pinpoint in actual numbers.
Hymer, Trigano, Carthago v UK Brands
- Just over one year for Hymer and Trigano entry to the UK market place.
- To what effect if any has that caused so far?
- We believe that both giants, are going to bring in a more motorhomes, into the UK.
- Hotly pursued by Carthago subsidiary brand Malibu.
- All battling with the UK brands.
- In the form of integrated and semi integrated motorhomes.
- Offering very affordably priced van conversions.
- So, the battle of the brands may be on its way right now!
- If so, that then begins margin pressure
- With market share under a lot of strain.
- Any large dealer exposed to selling potentially mostly foreign vans.
- Then when the margin pressure begins to kick in, those margins will tumble.
- This may well be in the first stages right now and is growing unseen.
The £35,000 to £45,000 purchase has not seen anything yet.
- This is going to become even more under pressure.
- With dealers looking for a share of the buyers.
- This does not affect the likes of UK manufacturers right now.
- As we believe they only are producing limited numbers of units.
Good News For Buyers
- Hopefully, lower cost entry points.
- In buying a coachbuilt motorhome.
- More lower priced van conversions.
Battle of the Brands 2017
The popularity of van conversions continues to attract customers.
Not to mention manufacturers such as;
Independent subsidiary of the motorhome producer, Carthago.
- Now with brands such as;
- Malibu motorhomes;
- Malibu is introducing a breath of fresh air.
- Malibu vans and the sleek motorhomes.
Bringing in more van conversions along side the super A class.