If you passed your car driving test from 19 January 2013, currently you can drive either of the following;
- car or van up to 3,500kg MAM towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM (up to 4,250kg in total)
- trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg
- you had to pass a car and trailer driving test if you wanted to tow anything heavier
What will change later in 2021
- If you passed your car driving test from 1 January 1997
- you will be allowed to tow trailers up to 3,500kg MAM when the law changes.
The DVLA will update your driving licence record to show that you’re allowed to tow trailers. You’ll get category BE added to your driving licence when you get a new photocard driving licence. You do not need to contact DVLA this will happen automatically
The date the law will change has not yet been confirmed. Sign up for email alerts to be told when the law changes.
- Car and trailer driving tests stopping from 20 September 2021
- Car and trailer driving tests are stopping before the law changes
You can no longer book or take a car and trailer driving test from 20 September 2021. However, the law will not change until later in 2021.
What can we do until the law changes?
Until the law changes later in autumn 2021, you must continue to follow the current rules about what you’re allowed to tow based on when you passed your car driving test.
You can be fined up to £1,000 banned from driving and get up to 6 penalty points on your driving licence if you tow anything heavier before the law changes. You’re only allowed to tow anything heavier if you’re being supervised and you must;
- display L plates to the front of the car and the rear of the trailer
- be accompanied by a person who’s at least 21 years old
- has had category BE on their driving licence for at least 3 years
Driving a car and trailer for the first time
It’s best to take training from a driving instructor if you want to start driving a car and trailer. The ‘National standard for driving cars and light vans’ tells you about the skills, knowledge and understanding you need to tow a trailer or caravan.